Sunday, July 6, 2008

pool party

One of my recent adventures has been hanging out with some of my family out in Kansas. Back in June I traveled by Greyhound Bus (which was another adventure entirely) to Kansas where my mom threw me a fantastic graduation celebration. Friday night we roasted hot dogs out on my parents land with our friends Jim and Janet Zook and some of my family on my mom's side: Roland and Ruth, Robyn, Ryan, Darin and Heather, Lyle and Joyce, Marcela and Harmony...and the newest Miller-Clan member, 3-week old Samantha. Samantha mostly sat there and looked beautiful, while Marcela and Harmony (ages 4 and 3) caught fireflies and the adults caught up on each others lives.

On Saturday morning I got to go on a bike ride with Marcela and just because she is only four, don't think she doesn't know what she is doing. For an awesome video of Marcela riding her bike, check out her parents' blog. Then more relatives came over for lunch and in the afternoon we had a good old-fashioned pool party - my mom even brought some cupcakes and ice cream. After a dinner of pizza, my cousin Robyn, her son Jack, my mom and my uncle Roland and aunt Ruth played a game of Hand to Foot. I first learned to play the game back in high school when I went to visit Robyn in Bolivia and ever since, Robyn and I can't have a visit with one another without playing. So even though we were all exhausted from the day, we still managed to squeeze in a game.

The whole weekend was relaxing and fun, but also full of difficult goodbyes. My cousin Reggie, his wife Angel and their two girls, Marcela and Harmony are heading to the Philippines this next weekend for a three-year stint with Wycliffe Bible Translators. Since visiting them in Panama a couple of years ago, I've been able to get to know them all better and have had so much fun getting to know Marcela and Harmony. Then, to make the end of the weekend even more sad, I also had to say goodbye to my cousin Robyn, her husband Rolly and their three kids. They are returning to Malaga, Spain in August for three years as well. Both families mean so much to me and I couldn't help but cry at the end of the weekend. In order to get over the sadness, I have already started dreaming of trips to visit them all...so if anyone wants to join, just let me know!

No comments: