Monday, October 12, 2009

Poppy

I am certainly not someone who really cares about brands. Kohl's is my favorite place to shop and I like to get a good bargain. Yesterday, however, I purchased something from the Coach store and I had an unexpected rush of joy and happiness when the woman wrapped up my pretty little wallet, tucked it in a pretty little bag and handed it across the beautiful sales counter. Now, I must note that I bought this little wallet for a purely pragmatic reason: I need something to protect my work badge. I've already gone through two badges in my short year in my current job and each time it needs to be replaced, I have to pay $25. Ugh. So, I decided to invest in something that would protect this badge, while also being kind of cute and pretty. Thus, enter the Coach store.

The whole place is beautiful: white walls adorned with shiny purses, luxurious gloves and silky-soft scarves. Everyone who works there is smiling and treats each sale like it's about to be Christmas. It's actually quite mesmerizing. I found a little wallet/id badge holder and the sales woman fetched me one from the back of the store (apparently, one does not buy the items out on the sale-floor that everyone has touched). They rang up the purchase, wrapped it up in pretty tissue paper, and placed it in a fancy bag.

Then I walked off, feeling happy and more special than I used to, with an over-priced little badge-protector, that somehow seems so much greater than it really is.

No comments: